MB Financial Bank SVP Application Development Manager - 6111 N. River in Rosemont, Illinois
SUMMARY Primary responsibilities include managing the development and implementation of IT applications and applications systems analysis and programming activities that enable the organization's business processes. The SVP Application Development Manager will oversee application development for all lines of business, enabling rapid development of high quality products, efficient deployments, and timely maintenance. The manager in this role will develop and implement plans, policies, and procedures related to automated software deployment processes, establish measures to determine if organizational objectives—customer responsiveness, application performance, and deployment release schedules—are being met. This employee will also prioritize organizational needs and ensure effective communication between the development teams and other IT teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES These are the most significant job duties performed. The size, scope and complexity of assigned duties and responsibilities are dependent on the level and experience of the incumbent. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each assigned essential duty satisfactorily. Other responsibilities or special projects not specifically mentioned may also be assigned.
- Manage the internal development and implementation of applications, including not only requirements, design, and programming activities but also the plans, policies, and procedures related to automated software deployment processes.
- Closely manage the quality and timeliness of delivery by establishing critical metrics to ensure that code is stable, well tested, mature, and well documented.
- Explore existing systems, and determine areas of complexity and potential risks to successful implementation.
- Applications Development may include both systems analysis and programming 'from scratch' or configuration of packaged products created by third parties.
- Research and evaluate the latest technologies to ensure applications are state of the art. Partner with the product development team and other teams as necessary to ensure the product is designed to work with mobile devices.
- Research business and technology trends; develop plan and influence change within organizations to continually deliver business value
- Lead, develop, and effectively communicate product vision, strategy, roadmap, and product blueprints to different levels of stakeholders.
- Establish measures to determine if organizational objectives—customer responsiveness, application performance, and deployment release schedules—are being met.
- Manage IT professionals who design/develop or acquire/adapt application software or the managers of professional who perform these functions.
- Provide overall direction and guidance to assigned project managers, reviews project requests, and coordinates schedules/departmental activities.
- Collaborate with business and IT teams to identify and execute continuous improvement.
- Prepare activity and progress reports regarding applications systems analysis and programming sections.
- Prioritize organizational needs and ensure effective communication between the development and operations teams.
- Identify project and team challenges early and create effective, proactive plans for dealing with them.
- Must have a passion for software development and customer service.
- Understands and complies with all Bank policies and procedures, and federal and state laws and regulations pertinent to this position; stays informed and shares updates on changes with management. Required to successfully complete all required Compliance training.
Continuously supports the Bank’s Mission Statement and Core Values. Supervisory Responsibilities
This position has direct supervisory responsibilities and carries out these responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints, coaching for performance and resolving problems.
This position is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the Software Development Department.
QUALIFICATIONS The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Work Experience
Bachelor's degree and 15 or more years of experience in application development managing interactive projects along with 10+ years of management experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional experience needed includes:
- Running an agile software organization that conducts multiple simultaneous projects.
- Maturing a development organization of 50+ staff.
- Building software / managing development within a regulated financial services environment.
- Executing development projects with Scrum.
- 10+ years experience leading development teams through the full software development lifecycle.
- Successfully implementing and maintaining internal applications as well as public-facing web and mobile applications.
- Integrating with legacy vendor systems.
- Leveraging offshore development and managing hybrid onshore/offshore projects.
- Understanding of development controls.
- Interacting with technology and business executives to understand needs and strategies; communicate vision and status; and negotiate expectations.
Liaising with other departments, both inside (Ops, App Support) and outside (PMO, Risk, Business) of IT. Certificates and Licenses
Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred.
Scrum or other Agile certifications preferred.
Job –Specific Knowledge
- Business Analysis– demonstrated experience with identifying trends and tracking key deliverables and risks such as: costs associated with proposed changes to programs and systems; and effectiveness of programs year-over-year in improving overall performance and achieving desired business results.
- Operational/Regulations Processes - Knowledge on budget administration, resources allocation, organization’s policies, regulations, objectives, and initiatives according to the job’s responsibilities. Ability to establish, conduct and track (audit) operational processes properly, and implement changes.
Project Management- Knowledge of project coordination, identification of business needs, work plan, budget control, time management, resource allocation, team management and status reports. Must demonstrate leadership, logic, and reasoning skills. Identify risks/issues affecting project work progress and recommend solutions. Those in a technology related position must also have strong technical knowledge. Competencies To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies.
Broad understanding of modern software development tools, technologies and approaches. Competent with multiple tool stacks (e.g., Microsoft; Linux/Java; etc.), with deep knowledge in at least one.
- Expertise with cloud-based development and deployment.
- Expert-level user of Windows applications and Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, MS Project and Visio.
- Strong knowledge of software development life cycles and the delivery of solutions with creative and technical components.
- Quickly learns and achieves proficiency in new software applications as needed.
- Understands and is familiar with the most widely known and emerging tools, technologies and social applications.
- Identifies opportunities to increase accuracy and optimize resources and develops / recommends / implements solutions.
- Produces unambiguous, comprehensive and accurate interpretations.
- Develops insightful, value-added and actionable analyses with detailed explanations regarding drivers of those results.
- Writes clearly and informatively. Edits work for spelling and grammar.
- Presents organized and thorough information and data appropriate for intended audience.
- Utilizes variety of interpersonal styles and communication methods to effectively adapt to new work structures, processes, or cultures.
- Demonstrates group presentation skills and excellent negotiation skills to deal effectively with individuals and groups within and outside the organization.
- Demonstrates follow-up skills.
- Provides timely and professional support to all internal/external customers and vendors.
- Prioritizes regular workload, special tasks and concurrent projects, allocating time and resources to ensure that work is completed accurately and efficiently within established time frame.
- Self-motivated. Works with minimal supervision. Team-oriented.
- Establishes and maintains effective, collaborative work relationships both internally and externally.
- Effective organizational, leadership and presentation skills.
- Strong business focus with demonstrated ability to act in partnership with management teams.
- Proven leadership and collaboration skills with the ability to effectively supervise, coach and influence employees.
- Performs with high level of initiative exhibiting persistence and willingness to stimulate new ideas within the organization.
- Takes calculated risks, makes strategic, results-oriented decisions, and accepts responsibility for the results (positive or negative). PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and to talk or hear.
The employee is frequently required to sit in an office space with moderate noise level during normal business hours with occasional extended hour which may include nights and/or weekends.
Job is frequently fast-paced and deadline sensitive with stress levels usually high due to job scope and demands.
**MB Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
As a part of the MB Financial hiring process all applicants will be required to submit to and pass a pre-employment urine drug screening. **20180411