US Foods Sr. Manager Design Construction in Rosemont, Illinois
The Sr. Manager of Design & Construction is a subject matter expert and is responsible to lead design and construction projects to US Foods specifications that may include; temperature controlled distribution centers, retail stores, training and test kitchen facilities, food processing facilities and office space. This will include responsibility for managing scope of work, budget, timeline and performance specifications. This position will lead a collaborative approach between internal stakeholders and multidisciplinary consultants in and efficient manner to drive successful projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities :
- Assist in management and development of the USF Facility Prototype/Standards and Optimization Program;
- Support development and maintenance of design and construction procurement methods and the program/project management tool box;
- Contribute to the development of departmental processes and tools;
- Provide expert knowledge for forecasting and development of capital projects to USF internal stakeholders;
- Strive to develop trust with USF senior management and various project stakeholders.
- Lead development of project feasibility studies including preliminary project goals, budgets, and schedules for assigned projects;
- Partner with senior leadership to identify and develop internal project teams and responsibilities;
- Recommend an approach for executing the development of the project, i.e., design/ build, design/bid/ build, sole provider program build and lead appropriate sourcing activities;
- Lead scope clarification and development with internal stakeholders to define project parameters;
- Identify and hire outside consultants and contractors to execute projects
- Lead site planning and approval process with external consultants and governmental entities;
- Lead building design with selected design professionals and contractors;
- Perform on-going design reviews, subcontractor bid oversight, change order reviews, schedule and budget performance reviews, and construction quality checks;
- Manage consultant and contractor payment process;
- Manage construction punch and closeout activities;
- Appraise consultant, contractor, and project team effectiveness;
- Conduct post project analysis of completed projects to identify improvements for future projects;
- Prepare or contribute to project reports prepared for senior management;
- Work with other USF departments on cross-functional initiatives;
- Perform other design and construction related duties as needed;
- Engage in industry benchmarking and evaluation of current building specifications, building costs, and departmental processes.
# EOE Race/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Protected Veteran/Disability Status
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent in architecture, civil engineering, construction management, or project management.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in architecture design, construction management, or project management of industrial, distribution, retail, and office building types, preferably in the food industry.
- Strong analytical and financial acumen skills: Able to gather data using appropriate methodologies and analyze that data in a manner that valid conclusions and insights can be drawn that assist in making important business decisions;
- Effective communication skills: Able to clearly present information through spoken or written word; reads and interprets complex information; listens well;
- Demonstrates leadership skills: Able to assume a role of authority, as necessary, sets expectations for co-workers and outside stakeholders, consultants, and contractors; keeps project team members focused on overall project goals; delegates responsibility and empowers associates and team members to make decisions and take accountability for decisions;
- Aesthetic Sensitivity: Able and comfortable with making aesthetic judgements related to architectural design, landscape design, and branding integration;
- Attention to detail: Able to perform work and job function with appropriate accuracy; carefully monitors processes and project activities to recommend and initiate changes that will improve results;
- Quality Orientation – Work with understanding and passion for quality outcomes;
- Strategic thinking: Willing to see beyond the normal project management routine by researching and embracing new technologies that advance departmental and USF organizational goals;
- Strong collaboration skills: Able to organize project teams and work with team members and stakeholders to develop solutions;
- Strong technical skills: Able to apply technical skills and knowledge in the areas of program/project management, building design, and general construction in a creative manner;
- Computer skills required: Microsoft Windows; Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Office 365 and Sharepoint; Visio, AutoCad or TruView.
This position mostly occupies the general office environment with up to 30% of the time spent at construction job sites. Office activities require normal sitting, standing, and walking. Construction job site activities will require standing, occasional strenuous walking, occasional climbing of ladders, and exposure to normal hazard construction conditions. Occasional exposure to weather elements is likely during visits to construction job sites. Travel to and from project sites is generally via automobile and airplane transportation. Total travel could be as much as 60%.
Primary Location: Rosemont-IL
Schedule: Full-time Shift: Day Job
Job Function: Property Management
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time