US Foods Intern - IT - COBOL Programmer in Rosemont, Illinois
With direct supervision and oversight, the intern position provides exposure and opportunity to investigate a career, gain business knowledge and practical application of COBOL programming and mainframe development within the food distribution industry.US Foods is seeking a talented Cobol/Mainframe Intern to assist the team. The ideal candidate will have experience in writing and compiling COBOL programs. The candidate should also be familiar with JCL. A number of projects will be assigned to develop the intern’s skills in COBOL/Mainframe applications. Opportunities include customer and employee order entry, warehouse distribution and purchasing applications. We currently use COBOL programming language in our IBM and Tandem Legacy environments.
TheUS Foods Summer Internship Program provides a forum for students to apply classroom skills and academic training in a real-world business environment.In addition to being assigned business-impacting projects throughout the summer, students will be matched with a manager who will meet with them on a regular basis to provide direction on assignments as well as deliver performance feedback and a mentor who will be available to offer day-to-day guidance and support.
Embracing the organization’s core values, the US Foods Summer Internship Program Mission is toTEAM UPto build a supportive learning environment where weTALK STRAIGHTabout performance development by delivering constructive feedback and positive reinforcement to deliverSECOND TO NONE program experiences to those students who spend their summers with us.
Interns will also get exposure to US Foods executive leadership; have an opportunity to participate in learning and social events with other interns across business functions within our Corporate HQ; and have an opportunity to deliver an end-of-summer presentation to showcase their accomplishments with key business leaders.Dependent upon critical business needs and overall performance during the summer, there may be opportunities for students to continue working as a part-time intern during the school year
US Foods internships are full-time paid positions(40 hours per week from May - August) with the possibility of transitioning to a full-time position post-graduation dependent on availability and overall performance.
Please note: we are not able to provide internships to students that require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B visa status).
Local candidates are encouraged to apply. For qualified students whose permanent home of record is located outside 50 miles from US Foods Corporate HQ, a stipend will be offered to partially offset housing costs for the summer.
# EOE Race/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Protected Veteran/Disability Status
* ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: *
- Codes, tests, debug, implements, and documents moderately complex programs.
- Creates appropriate documentation in work assignments such as program code, and technical documentation.
- Works with other department members to build programs to meet business needs.
- Gathers information from existing systems, analyzes program and time requirements.
- Designs programs for projects or enhancements to existing programs.
- Assists support and/or project personnel in resolving program issues.
- Works with supervisor to resolve issues and validate programming requirements within their areas of responsibility.
- Develops unit test plans to verify logic of new or modified programs.
- Follow Agile methodology and participate in SCRUM meetings.
- Communicates effectively (both written and verbal) with excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degreein Computer Science, Engineering, Information Science or related area of study
- Must be enrolled in school during time of internship
- Typically, students currently between their Junior and Senior years or between their 1st and 2nd years of graduate school will be considered for internships
- Coursework in COBOL programming
- Must have regular, reliable method of transportation to commute to US Foods’ location
- Coursework or experience in system analysis and structured programming
- Coursework or skill in JCL coding
- Coursework or experience in SOA and other programming languages like Java
Primary Location: Rosemont-IL
Schedule: Full-time Shift: Day Job
Job Function: Office/Clerical
Job Level: Individual Contributor