US Foods Sr. Application Developer (Downtown Chicago - Food Genius) in Chicago Metro, Illinois
At Food Genius, our platforms sit on top of a collection of high volume, on-demand micro services. We manage all aspects of our data’s lifecycle – including acquisition cleaning, ingestion, and transforming – all for use in predictive models that can help our customers “make it”. We’re looking for someone to help us refine and optimize our platform and create industry-changing applications that scale.
Food Genius™, a US Foods company, is an award-winning technology and services team that delivers big data and insight solutions to the food industry. Food Genius is made up of people who are passionate about food and technology. We have a culinary driven focus and talent for seeing the patterns behind food data, and understanding what these patterns might mean for diners, restaurants, and the companies serving those consumers. Food Genius employees embrace their culture and core values. The company’s approach to business reflects honesty, integrity and ethics in all situations.
- Wrangle data (from the web, open data sources, APIs, US Foods, etc.), then help our team of engineers and data scientists perform amazing feats of strength with said data;
- Familiarity with building transient and on demand services using cloud-based services, including Lambdas;
- Are capable of prototyping a data application and growing it to scale (taking a one off proof-of concept project, abstracting its concepts, and operationalizing it);
- Get excited about feedback and iterating quickly based on that feedback.
- Significant experience in building applications that process and analyze data;
- Have experience working with or building distributed systems (many machines doing a small amount of work);
- Experience in some sort of scripting language, preferably Python;
- Demonstrated experience in working with infrastructure on-demand services like AWS’s EC2, Google Cloud, etc.;
- Knowledgeable in large-scale data processing tools, anything Hadoop, Hive, Elastic Search, MapReduce tools…;
- Experience working with the full stack needed to create a modern application SQL, caching strategies, deployment techniques, etc.;
- Knowledgeable in modern DevOps workflows (Github, CI, CD, Docker, etc.);
- Deploy and support web applications in a high volume and high-availability environment;
- Collaborate with project managers, business analysts, and solution architects;
- Demonstrable problem solving skills;
- Excited by difficult problems – for example, structuring lots of unstructured data from many sources and making sense of it for sales and executive leadership.
EOE Race/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Protected Veteran/Disability Status
Policy on Third Party Unsolicited Resume Submissions
Any employment agency, person or entity that submits a résumé into this career site or to a hiring manager does so with the understanding that the applicant's résumé will become the property of US Foods. US Foods will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.
Employment agencies that have fee agreements with US Foods and have been engaged on a search shall submit résumé to the designated US Foods recruiter or, upon US Foods authorization, submit résumé into this career site to be eligible for placement fees.
Education/ Training Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree;
- 5 years in software development;
- Enjoys a start-up like environment, but can create enterprise-class applications.
Related Experience Required:
- Experience processing data with Python, R, or other open-source technologies;
- Excited about one or more of the following: machine learning, natural language processing, Mechanical Turk, Pandas, Jupyter Notebooks, data wrangling in general.
Primary Location: Chicago Metro-IL
Schedule: Full-time Shift: Day Job
Job Function: Development / Programming
Job Level: Individual Contributor