Union Pacific Passenger Car Electrician in Chicago, Illinois
Passenger Car Electricians perform the inspection, repair and maintenance of the electrical components on passenger cars. Physical duties involve occasionally climbing and maintaining balance on uneven terrain, ballast, and roofs while making repairs; stepping around objects and equipment on the floor; lift/carry and push/pull objects weighing 25 lbs to 70 lbs occasionally; performing work while occasionally bending and stooping and in awkward postural positions; performing occasional overhead work for short periods of time; and remaining standing or sitting for more than one-half of every work day with the opportunity to periodically change position for comfort.
- Perform, with use of blueprints, schematics and location circuit plans, scheduled electrical inspections of various components and inspection and test of circuitry in accordance with company and industry standards.
- Diagnose electrical malfunctions in passenger cars, control circuits and components, assess the nature of problems, and identify corrective action needed.
- Perform maintenance and repair of electrical components in passenger cars or electrical compartments and perform maintenance for miscellaneous equipment using blueprints, schematics, and location circuit plans.
- Work with shop machines and tools.
- Understand and follow company and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures.
- Read, interpret and understand written or electronic information, maintain the information, and compile reports.
- Communicate with others, verbally and in writing, technical information, job procedure recommendations, and other work-related information.
- Assist other employees as needed.
- Ensure that all signals, lights and other safety appliances used by employees for protection are properly displayed and used.
- Plan and coordinate work activities, determine equipment needs, and develop sequences of steps to get work completed.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Computer literate and have basic keyboarding skills.
- Applicants must have the ability to communicate with others.
- Read electrical schematics and prints
- Provide verifiable documentation of a minimum of 4 years of combined electrical education and work experience in electronics, control systems, AC/DC motors, OR 4 years of electrical work experience, OR a current journeyman's electrical card.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with coworkers, supervisors, contractors and/or customers and effectively handle conflict situations.
- Ability to speak English in a clear, concise manner in order to communicate with coworker(s) and supervisor(s).
- Authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
- Candidates for this position must pass a pre-employment test in English before being allowed to interview. If you have taken this test and failed within the last six months, you will not be eligible to apply for this position. Click here to see a sample items on the Skilled Craft Battery test.
- Experience with large motor generators, high-voltage circuitry, electronics and/or electro-mechanical systems.
- A current electrician license
- Associates Degree, a Certificate in electronics or electricity or an equivalent work experience of at least one year, in electronics, control systems, AC/DC motors, or electrical components
- HVAC experience
Location: Chicago, IL
Closing Date: None at 11:59 PM Central Time
Job Open To: Internal and External Candidates