Union Pacific Apprentice Passenger Car Repai in Chicago, Illinois
Apprentice Passenger car repairers inspect, repair, rebuild and service railroad Heritage Fleet Passenger cars. This is accomplished through the use of hand tools, power tools, cutting torches and welding equipment. Work is of a physical nature and involves kneeling, bending and stooping.
- CONDUCT INSPECTIONS OF ROLLING STOCK (Passenger cars and high speed support equipment, etc.). Inspect rolling stock for defects or evidence of wear; inspect rolling stock for compliance with rules; inspect rolling stock damaged in derailments or collisions; conduct pre-trip inspections (air brake tests, fuel, etc.).
- PERFORM SCHEDULED AND ON-DEMANT MAINTENANCE. Perform initial terminal air brake tests and other pre-trip maintenance; lubricate journals; clean and prepare surfaces for painting.
- REMOVE AND REPLACE DEFECTIVE APPLIANCES AND COMPONENTS. Remove and replace defective components on rolling stock (trucks, shoes, coupler and cushioning assemblies, Windows, furniture, Cabinetry and air brake systems).
- WORK WITH SHOP MACHINES AND TOOLS. Safely and effectively operate the following; acetylene torches, non-power tools (pliers, wrenches, hammers), power tools (drills, power saws, grinders); electric and gas welding equipment for use on metal of all type including stainless steel, aluminum and mild steel.
- PRACTICE SAFE WORK HABITS. Understand and follow company and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures, wear prescribed safety apparel; take appropriate action when conditions threaten safety of self or coworkers; ensure equipment and work area are in safe operating condition before starting work.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Applicants for this position must pass a pre-employment test in English before being allowed to interview. The number of candidates who pass the test and will be granted an interview is based upon hiring needs. If you have taken this test and failed within the last six months, you will not be eligible to apply for this position. Click here to see a sample of the Skilled Craft Battery test.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with coworkers, supervisors, contractors and/or customers and effectively handle conflict situations.
- Ability to speak English in a clear, concise manner in order to communicate with coworker(s) and supervisor(s).
- Authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Applicants must qualify on a Physical Ability Test (PAT) prior to employment. Click here for a description of the Physical Abilities Test
- Welding experience
- Experience operating tools required to repair freight cars.
- Ability to perform heavy physical labor.
- Carpentry Experience
With more than 8,000 locomotives and 107,000 freight cars, mechanics at all career levels can find opportunities at Union Pacific’s many shops. Mechanical employees inspect, repair and maintain freight cars and locomotives. By ensuring the equipment is in good working order, Union Pacific can offer safe, reliable transport of customer goods.
Union Pacific is one of America’s premier transportation and logistics companies, linking 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country and serving many of the fastest-growing U.S. cities. Generations of Americans have built successful careers at Union Pacific and in the process, they’ve helped build a nation – delivering lumber for our homes, food for our tables, energy for our power plants and the countless raw materials and finished goods that supply the American way of life.
Location: Chicago, IL
Closing Date: None at 11:59 PM Central Time
Job Open To: External Candidates