US Foods INTERN- IT- Web Application Developer in Rosemont, Illinois
With direct supervision and oversight this position provides exposure and opportunity to investigate a career and gain business knowledge and practical application of a specific function within the food distribution industry.
ABOUT THE US FOODS SUMMER INTERN PROGRAM
The US Foods Summer Internship Program provides a forum for students to apply classroom skills and academic training in a real world business environment. In addition to being assigned business-impacting projects throughout the summer, students will be matched with a manager who will meet with them on a regular basis to provide direction on assignments as well as deliver performance feedback and a mentor who will be available to offer day-to-day guidance and support.
Embracing the organization’s core values, the US Foods Summer Internship Program Mission is to TEAM UP to build a supportive learning environment where we TALK STRAIGHT about performance development by delivering constructive feedback and positive reinforcement to deliver SECOND TO NONE program experiences to those students who spend their summers with us.
Interns will also get exposure to US Foods executive leadership; have an opportunity to participate in learning and social events with other interns across business functions within our Corporate HQ; and have an opportunity to deliver an end-of-summer presentation to showcase their accomplishments with key business leaders.
US Foods internships are full-time paid positions (40 hours per week from May - August) with the possibility of transitioning to a full-time position post-graduation dependent on availability and overall performance.
US Foods IT internship program will include assigning a mentor at the Director or above level who will meet with the intern on a regular basis to ensure the quality of the assignment. We will also assign a local manager and a “buddy” for day-to-day interactions. The intern will also get exposure to executive management in the IT organization via 1:1’s and a presentation at the end of the summer assignment. The intention is that the intern will continue to work part-time during the school year and be considered for an offer of full-time employment.
The ideal candidate will have experience both in interaction or visual design and user research methodologies. You will be part of a small internal UX team that includes senior designers and developers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Codes, tests, debug, implements, and documents moderately complex programs.
- Creates appropriate documentation in work assignments such as program code, and technical documentation.
- Works with other department members to build programs to meet business needs.
- Prepares detailed specifications from which programs are developed and coded. Ensures programs meet standard, technical specifications, and creates appropriate documentation in work assignments.
- Gathers information from existing systems, analyzes program and time requirements.
- Designs programs for projects or enhancements to existing programs.
- Assists support and/or project personnel in resolving program issues.
- Works with supervisor to resolve issues and validate programming requirements within their areas of responsibility.
- Develops test plans to verify logic of new or modified programs.
- Communicates effectively (both written and verbal) with excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Assist and participate in project ideation - from concept to delivery on compelling user experiences that integrate Intel technology and business strategy.
Responsibilities could include:
- Development and implementation of online web applications - Research on website design best practices
- Wire frames - Design mock ups and interactive prototypes
- Ensure developed applications follow UX defined specifications
Please note: we are not able to provide internships to students that require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B visa status).
Local candidates are encouraged to apply. For qualified students whose permanent home of record is located outside 50 miles from US Foods Corporate HQ, a stipend will be offered to partially offset housing costs for the summer.
# EOE Race/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Protected Veteran/Disability Status
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degreein Computer Science, Engineering, Information Science or related area of study.
- Must be enrolled in school during time of internship
- Typically, students currently between their Junior and Senior years or between their 1st and 2nd years of graduate school will be considered for internships
- Coursework or skill in object-oriented programming.
- Coursework or skill in Java development.
- Database server development experience.
- Web application development experience OR hands-on website development experience.
- Experience integrating front-end templates with back-end functionality.
- Experience with front-end web development languages
- Must have regular, reliable method of transportation to commute to US Foods’ location
- Coursework or skill with JDBC, JMS, Web Services, J2EE, Applet, Servlet, JSP, JSON, and/or PYTHON.
- Experience with requirements gathering, design, implementation, integration and testing.
- Experience with relational databases and SQL (i.e., Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server).
- Experience with enterprise architecture service-oriented architecture.
- Experience with J2EE application servers (i.e., GlassFish, WebLogic, Tomcat).
- Experience with developing database-driven sites.
Job requires worker to:Sit 0%Stand 0% Walk 0%Drive 0%Job requires worker to lift:50-100 lbs. (Heavy) 0%Job requires worker to carry:25-50 lbs. (Medium) 0%
Primary Location: Rosemont-IL
Schedule: Full-time Shift: Day Job
Job Function: Office/Clerical
Job Level: Individual Contributor